"EVERY SECOND OF LIFE IS A NEW CHANCE TO START OVER." Cathy Guisewite

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Follow The Leader 6"x8"


So, here is my second foray in painting people parts. I'll be honest, this has been on and off my easel for the last 6 months. I've wiped this painting off 5 or 6 times and I'm still not totally happy with it. But, I'm going to give myself a break as I've just started to attempt to paint any part of the human anatomy. If I compared myself to Karin Jurick or other great "people painters" I'd go hide under the covers and give up but, as Dreama Tolle Perry said in her article on "How To Feel Miserable As An Artist", comparing yourself to another artist is one of the quickest ways to be miserable. So, I'm going to be kind to myself. I have a lot to learn and a year ago I wouldn't have even made this attempt. (Also, one of the great things about painting from photos is that I can go back when I'm feeling more confident and try it again.)

I took this photo while we were on vacation in Oregon and waiting at the station for the steam train. I liked that they looked like little ducks in a row. Dad, unfortunately, was walking out of sync and he got cut from the picture. Sorry Dad.  Thanks again for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment