"EVERY SECOND OF LIFE IS A NEW CHANCE TO START OVER." Cathy Guisewite

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Idea In Progress


After I finish my latest beach painting, I'm thinking of trying some portraits this year. Now this is a really big endeavor on my part because I've never done a portrait in my life. A few months ago I read a book called the Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. In it a painter obsesses about a woman in the past and paints her over and over. I thought that was a really cool idea. Take one person and do several portraits of them. Not only would it be challenging but, I thought it would be fun to try and capture an individual through painting over a period of time. I'm very excited and nervous about this project but, I think the fun will make up for the frustration I will incur. Wasn't it Andrew Wyeth who secretly and repeatedly painted his neighbor over a decade or so? Yes, I am one of those people who need an under- drawing or sketch before I can paint. I admire people who start with a blank canvas and create marvelous portraits as if from thin air but, unfortunately; that's not me. Thanks for looking!  Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Lee, look forward to seeing your portraits, what a wonderful idea....hope to still see more of your ocean paintings as well, I just love those!

    ReplyDelete